“Man-ing” up and getting drunk:
The role of masculine norms, alcohol intoxication and alcohol-related problems among college men
- Masculine norms may help explain patterns of problematic drinking among men.
- Fraternity status and higher peer norms were associated with drinking to intoxication.
- Playboy, risk-taking and winning norms were risk factors of drinking to intoxication.
- Playboy, risk taking and self-reliance increased the risks of alcohol-related problems.
- Work and heterosexual presentation norms were protective of problem drinking.
From Addictive Behaviors Volume 36, Issue 9, Pages 906-911. Derek Kenji Iwamoto, Alice Cheng, Christina S. Lee, Stephanie Takamatsu, Derrick Gordon